College Visit Questions: Academics
From an article published in Cappex by financial aid specialist Lynn O'Shaughnessy,
some questions to ask colleges about academics.
1. What is the average class size of introductory classes?
2. What is the average class size of upper-division courses?
3. How widely are teaching assistants used?
4. How easy or difficult is it to enroll in the courses you need? 5. How much interaction, if any, will the typical undergrad have with tenured professors and will it largely be confined to lecture halls?
6. What are the typical class sizes of my intended major?
7. Is my intended discipline an impacted major (oversubscribed)?
8. Am I guaranteed the major that I’m interested in?
9. Are the admission standards higher for certain majors?
10. When do you have to declare a major?
11. How much time do students typically spend on homework?
12. How much writing and reading are expected?
13. Is it possible to double major?
21. Is the college on a semester, trimester or quarter system?